Thursday, June 19, 2008

Beliefs

About a year after Draja and I had that conversation about paying attention, I took a stab at my very own Lesson 2: Beliefs.

Let's think about reality for a minute (lower case "r"). This reality is different for everybody. Read any psychological study on the subject of memory or recollection. People can recall the same event in completely different ways. Not only that, but memories can be fabricated. If someone insists to you that you were at an event, and you were not, but they keep insisting over a period of time, one thing that can happen is you might create a memory of being there. Have you ever had encounters with people that displayed either of these phenomena? Maybe even done it yourself?

What's the truth, then?

The truth is whatever each person believes. Your beliefs make your reality. The things you believe happened, or the things you believe you can do are true.... for you.

Before going on, let's make an important distinction here. I'm not talking about willy nilly beliefs, like "oh, yeah I believe that." I'm talking about hard core beliefs that you feel to your very insides. Don't go up to your roof and say "I believe I can fly!" and then jump off and wonder why you broke your legs! If you truly believed you could fly down to your very core, then you would.... but just saying it ain't gonna do it.

Ok, so what can we do with this?

Tada! If you can change your beliefs, you can change your reality! That's the magic of it.

Some beliefs are harder to change than others. When you are born, you make certain "agreements" with the Universe about certain things... solid things are solid.... birds fly... people need machines to fly... liquid things are not solid unless you impact them while falling from 30,000 ft, then they're kinda solid... and so on. These are basic things that you need to survive in this existence (or not). Changing these beliefs can be done, but it would take a looooong time, and a loooot of work, and it would probably be a waste of time in the end. I certainly haven't done this, and if given a chance to do it, I'd pass.

However, some beliefs are much easier to change, and more beneficial too! Instead of trying to be like Nathan Petrelli from an episode of Heroes, how about working on your self-esteem? Or perhaps your outlook on life? Or your ability to excel at school or work? Or your ability to make friends?

These beliefs aren't a snap to change, in every case, but they certainly can be changed with a little work. By changing them, you can change your reality. You can feel better about yourself. You can be happier in general. You can get that A grade or that promotion. You can find a special someone.

I want to point out something else too. Everything I've told you in this blog is based on my beliefs. I'm showing you my realities when talking about this stuff. That's why you have to take it for what it is.

The sum total of all your beliefs is called your Belief System. Sometimes things can happen that unravel it. Sometimes it can be strengthened. For me, I generally like to tweak it as needed when going through life. If I must, I try to be a chameleon in a belief sense, for certain things, like religion, for instance... changing beliefs to suit the need at the moment, because remember after all, as Idries Shah said, "Truth has no form." (That's Truth with a capital "T".)

Your beliefs shape your perception of Truth and Reality, which creates your personal reality. That's a tool, so use it!

No comments: