Friday, June 13, 2008

Be normal!

You can read a lot of "self help" books and find a lot of whacky things among the pages. Also, you can read certain books and change your life, for the better. The books that have some kernel of "truth" to them all have one thing in common: they all say the same thing. Sure, they all say it in different ways with different wrappers and different flavorful coatings, but they all say the same thing. There's a reason for that! Things that reflect Reality (with a capital "R") ring true.

There's nothing I can say or write that has not been written before, for that reason. I have no profound message to give out to everyone, but I have a useful theme for giving out the same Realistic info: Be normal!

Being normal is pretty important to me, so important, in fact, that I named this blog after that phrase. What do I mean by it?

Personal development, spirituality, individual growth... whatever you would like to call it... is something I have been doing all my life. (I'm 32.) I've read a lot of books, worked with a lot of teachers, and learned a lot of whacky shit in my short time on the earth so far. But one of the messages that has been so important to me is that no matter what you know, no matter how "evolved" you think you are, no matter how happy-happy-joy-joy you envision yourself to be, at the end of the day you still have to brush your teeth!!

If you are so freaky, fancy, flaky, and fru-fru that you cannot do your laundry, clean your house, pay your bills, make a good living, and take care of your dependents, then you've got nothing. A lot of great books on spirituality forget to mention that part. They jump right to the entertainment, and leave out the nitty gritty details about keeping your house in order. Pun intended.

So you want to grow spiritually? Great! Be normal, first. Take care of your basic life needs. Then take off like a rocket, and continue to be normal.

More later!

No comments: