Monday, September 8, 2008

Live, dammit!!

Someone approached me today asking indirectly how they could save someone who was dying. My initial reaction was to try to tell them how the person could be saved, even though I knew almost immediately that doing that sort of thing when uneducated fully in the situation was hazardous, or worse, useless. Then I pulled back a step and realized something as I read the information about the dying man. He doesn't want to live!

The people who were trying to save the man were not saving the man for his own benefit. They were trying to keep him around for their benefit.

Ok, I can respect that. People feel that way when their loved ones are getting close to passing away. They just do.

However, what was not present in this situation was any awareness at all about whether or not this dying man had any true reason to be kept around. There were lots of emotional reasons, certainly. There were also lots of mental ones. But was there any spiritual reason?

I don't know the answer to that.

What I do know is that people often get wrapped up in their own emotional and mental images of a situation which blinds them to the real situation. Do any of these people in this dying man's family realize that he doesn't want to live? Do any of the people who are trying to save him realize he doesn't want to be saved? Do any of them realize anything that's going on outside of their own internal struggles?

When Draja gave me my first lesson, "pay attention", I thought he meant I had to notice every physical detail around me, and while that did help at the time, it was not the true essence of what he asked me to do. To pay attention also means to be able to detect your own emotional and mental walls that you put up between yourself and Reality, and to also see those walls when they are put up by others.

No comments: