Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Anything wrong?

Though I am not sure how easy it is to decipher, there is a message in the title of this blog, "Be Normal". What do I mean by that?

I can tell you what I don't mean. I am not talking about any judgments on how people decide to live their lives. If there are people that are weirdos, whatever that means, that is their business. Instead, when I say "be normal" I mean something specific.

When I was training with Draja, the curriculum involved a lot of things. Generally, it involved working out my own internal crap, reading various texts, learning various forms of magic, and interfacing with various other levels of existence. All of these things had one thing in common: they required tremendous striving, work, and sacrifice. The things I did incurred costs, at times.

After some years of this, I eventually ran out of gas, so to speak, and began to doubt my need for all this stuff. After going through a period of limbo after breaking with Draja, I soon stumbled on another way: Let it all go. Be here now. If you ignore all these spirits, magical spells being casted by so-and-so, etc. They all go away! They have little or no bearing on 99.999% of the stuff that happens in your daily existence, and most of the time that 0.001% of stuff can still be attended to by so-called conventional means.

And so, my little phrase was born: Be normal.

Consciousness is ever-present in the Now. It's there. There is nothing to do. Nothing to feel. In fact, feeling and doing can block your perception of Consciousness if you lose yourself in them and mistake them for being You. Since Consciousness just Is, there really isn't anything to DO. The silent witness behind everything is complete. It wants nothing. It needs nothing.

When I started hitting these experiences, I realized, "Why in the world would anyone ever want to do magic?" Magic, as I was taught, is generally there to get things that you want, or to get things that someone else wants. But if that thing that is doing the wanting is not You, it's your ego, then from the perspective of your True Self, why would you ever want to change WHAT IS?

The same could be said for striving. Why strive to get somewhere when you are already there? Why strive to be perfect when your True Self already is?

Egos are imperfect. Egos need to do more, be more. Although True Selves move on their own to wherever it is they appear to go within the realm of time, usually towards betterment of some sort, there is no striving behind it. That movement is different from egoic striving. That movement happens innately without being powered by desire. It can be powered by enthusiasm and passion, which have equivalent expressions in Consciousness, but not by egoic wanting.

So, that's what I mean by being normal. There are people that buy into all kinds of hoopla and hoodoo, and there are people that just live their lives and exist. People who live their lives and just exist, but do it with intention and attention to Consciousness are what I would describe with the word normal.

A corollary: Draja did a ton of magic in his day, but he did it for a reason: earning a living. Draja did magic like a plumber does plumbing. When you look at it from that perspective, the perspective of making financial ends meet, then it is different. The striving is not for obtaining some mystical goal of enlightenment. It's not striving at all. It's plumbing!

No comments: